I'm so glad you found me! I'm a San Francisco photographer, and this blog charts my journey in the ever-evolving world of photography. One of the things I love about photography is that it's a journey, not a destination. I'm constantly learning and meeting wonderful people. Please peruse the blog to your heart's content, then check out my website and feel free to contact me! (I love hearing from you.)

“Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I’m going to take tomorrow." – Imogen Cunningham

“A portrait is not made in the camera but on either side of it.” – Edward Steichen

Some Thoughts About Resolutions


A couple of days ago I posted about my resolutions for 2010. And I mentioned that I never used to make any, because I was afraid I wouldn't keep them.

There are a lot of things in my life that are like that. Things I don't do, or don't try, because I'm afraid things won't work out as I'd like them to. And really, that's just a waste of time.

If I don't try, then for sure I won't succeed. If I do try, and I fail, so what? I'm in the same place. If I succeed, then I'm ahead. I only lose out if I don't try in the first place.

The first day of the new year is a good excuse to stretch ourselves, and try. Try things we otherwise might not.

Because really, what have you got to lose?

11 comments:

  1. I do like the RESOLUTION, that you achieved on this model boat. I am not generally drawn to B&W but this has strength and action, composiyion is the strength I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Lighting.
    When I first looked at it, I though this was a picture of a real boat made to look like a miniature through PP.
    Nice Shot.

    -Z

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stark contrast in the black and white, and the composition itself is amazing, it goes very well w/ your resolution theory, and you are absolutely right....nothing ventured, nothing gained! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I called mine last year "A Photo a Day (in theory)" because I wasn't sure I could pull it off. I did, but it was nice to give myself the out!
    This is a very striking photo, crisp and elegant, with the almost crunchy texture of the sail against the sleek black water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the light and the reflections. When you come down to it there aren't many things one has to lose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, this photo is in color, just the intense backlighting makes it hard to see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice shot, Jessica. I'm with your on the resolutions. Even if you fail, I bet you've come away with something from the attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!
    Great shot! Love the different shapes.

    Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great choice for Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stopping by because of Mr. Linky. This is a wonderful image - great pick! I love the metaphor of the boat and your accompanying statement - boldly sailing off to someplace unknown...will you get there? Does it matter, or is it about the journey?

    ReplyDelete
  11. The lighting on this image is is great. It makes for a great capture.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I read and cherish every single one. Go ahead, make my day.