I'm so glad you found me! I'm a San Francisco photographer, and this blog charts my journey in the ever-evolving world of photography. One of the things I love about photography is that it's a journey, not a destination. I'm constantly learning and meeting wonderful people. Please peruse the blog to your heart's content, then check out my website and feel free to contact me! (I love hearing from you.)

“Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I’m going to take tomorrow." – Imogen Cunningham

“A portrait is not made in the camera but on either side of it.” – Edward Steichen

State of the Blog

Dear Lovely Blog Readers,
We're coming up on the end of 2011, and I've been trying to analyze how I'm spending my time. Somehow (as for most of you, I'd imagine) my to-do list always seems to get longer and not shorter. And I'll admit, I tend to prioritize the urgent at the expense of the important.
I've asked this question before, but I only received a handful of responses. It's now been well over three years that I've been posting daily (or attempting to), and as you can imagine, that takes a lot of time. A lot of shooting, a lot of downloading, editing, writing, and then posting for pretty much every day of the last three years. I'm not quitting. I still enjoy the heck out of most of it. 

But I am trying to recalibrate. That's why I'd love your honest opinion: how often would you like me to post? What do you enjoy reading about? Over the past few months, while readership numbers haven't really changed, there's been a dramatic decrease in commenting. At first, it bothered me, but I know you guys are busy. Really, I read a lot of blogs where I don't comment. It's ok. But it makes it harder to figure out what people like and don't like.

Hence the poll. If you're looking at this via email or some kind of reader, I think you'll have to visit the blog to see the poll. It's only two questions. I'd certainly appreciate you taking some time out of your busy day to answer them to the best of your ability. 

And thanks, again, for reading. Without all of you I might have given this up a long time ago. 
Cheers, Jessica

5 comments:

  1. Um, for question 2 can I say all of the above? My favorite blogs are the eclectic ones. I feel as if more of your personality comes out with those and they are by far more interesting to read. In addition, having a wide variety of topics gives you a wide variety of photography inspiration.

    I love your photos. They are so inspiring (and I'll be honest, INTIMIDATING, because they are so good). I am trying to get into the habit of commenting on blogs more, so I'll be sure to stop here a little more often :0 But I truly find your blog inspiring, and I love seeing your post in my reader. Every. Single. Day.

    But having done a daily blog for a while, I understand how exhausting they can be, so I would not fault you for scaling back a bit.

    Happy Blogging, however frequent it may be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this was really difficult and it was only 2 questions and multiple choice at that (oh my)!!!! LOL..... I read your blog daily. I have you book marked on my phone and at work and at home. However, I completely understand possibly moving to weekly vs. daily. As long as you keep posting, it doesn't matter to me.
    q#2.... At first I began reading just for the photography aspect of it as I am new to this hobby, but now, I enjoy and look forward to reading anything you post. You write so well. I've grown to look forward to your personal posts as well as your educational posts.
    I support whatever you decide and as long as your blog is here, I will continue to read (and now post more~but not as long as this one~ since you enjoy comments :) )
    Thank you for the value you add to my life.
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too wish there was an -all of the above- for question two. I wouldn't want you to feel confined by a single subject. I love your photography and have so much to learn, but at times it's good to hear about the exciting things in your life, or things of interest to you.

    IOW, post when the spirit moves you, about whatever.

    I seldom comment on blogs, although I'm beginning to understand that the blogger does appreciate feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you ladies! Apparently there is a feature to allow multiple answers to the poll, but you can't add it to the survey after the fact. Oh well, at least I know for next time.

    Thanks to you all for taking the time to write such lovely comments! And I appreciate the freedom to continue posting some amalgamation of topics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so i love seeing the pics in my updated blog~ reminder thingy... i follow a ridiculous number of blogs, and have become really overwhelmed with school, despite i wish i had time to read each of your posts. i usually just check yours out if the photo really draws me. and i usually only comment if i see a direct question~ "i need feedback" or "color or B&W".

    i'm here mostly for the pretty pics, but i love the informative "how to" stuff too. not to lessen your words in anyway, because when i have time for your stories i enjoy when they correspond with photoshoot. sorry this comment might not be much help. hah. goodluck w the time management :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I read and cherish every single one. Go ahead, make my day.