I'm so glad you found me! I'm a San Francisco photographer, and this blog charts my journey in the ever-evolving world of photography. One of the things I love about photography is that it's a journey, not a destination. I'm constantly learning and meeting wonderful people. Please peruse the blog to your heart's content, then check out my website and feel free to contact me! (I love hearing from you.)

“Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I’m going to take tomorrow." – Imogen Cunningham

“A portrait is not made in the camera but on either side of it.” – Edward Steichen

Using Shadows in Your Composition


When you're out and about, the unobvious photo may not pop out at you. It might not scream, "Take me! Take me!" The sunset screams. The travel spot screams. The beautiful flower screams (but only to women and amateurs - just kidding!).

That interesting patch of light and shadow on the side of the building stays silent in comparison.

That's why you have to look for it. And sometimes that makes it sweeter to know you had to search a bit to find it. Use your eye to frame it just right. And press the shutter button just at the right moment.

I don't know exactly why I love this shot, just that I do. The frame created by the shadow on the left and the bottom and the brick on the right makes me smile. And that's why I do this, to smile.

1 comment:

  1. I am with you on this photo- I like it a lot. Great texture, light and shadow contrast and this natural frame is awesome. You almost wish there was something on top to finish it off as well!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I read and cherish every single one. Go ahead, make my day.