I'm so glad you found me! I'm a San Francisco photographer, and this blog charts my journey in the ever-evolving world of photography. One of the things I love about photography is that it's a journey, not a destination. I'm constantly learning and meeting wonderful people. Please peruse the blog to your heart's content, then check out my website and feel free to contact me! (I love hearing from you.)

“Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I’m going to take tomorrow." – Imogen Cunningham

“A portrait is not made in the camera but on either side of it.” – Edward Steichen

For the Poor of the World

I took this in St Patrick's Cathedral in Manhattan with my new (and very expensive!) baby, the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS EF-S lens. Which I LOVE. It's practically perfect in every way, just limited to crop-sensor cameras.

And although I'm not a huge fan of the choices that Canon is making with its new crop sensor bodies - more megapixels is not always better! - I'm very content with my current body. It does what I need it to, and we've become like an old married couple, aware of each other's quirks and foibles. We have an understanding. Above 800 ISO we don't go; I've learned to hold my breath, and watch the light for times when I can shoot without camera shake being a problem.

Anyway, despite the astronomical cost (to me anyway), it's wonderful. you'll be seeing a lot more from it.

6 comments:

  1. Now I want that lens LOL What wonderful clarity and what a perfect shallow depth! Looking forward to seeing more from your new lens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like it was worth it. Nice to have a fast lens like that. The detail is excellent. Congratulations, and great shot Jessica.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shot, love the detail, the bokeh, the fell of the whole thing. Excellent. I borrowed a 17-55 and it was the coolest lens ever (besides my 105mm). Its been on my wish list for a while. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got that lens a few months ago and love it. I was debating that or the 24-70L and ended up going to this for the IS and smaller size.

    Images I've taken (at least the ones on flickr): http://www.flickr.com/photos/vrillusions/tags/canonefs1755mmf28isusm/

    A blog post I did talking about how awesome it is (actually just a single paragraph that just says it's awsome): http://vrillusions.com/blog/2010/03/potw-superior-bridge-subway

    And by far my favorite picture with this lens that shows both it's excellent bokeh and sharpness (this is SOTC, later on I found it helps in dpp to increase the sharpness a lot (not the one under picture styles that only goes to 7 or so, the one in the tab over that maxes at like 500 or something): http://photos.vrillusions.com/events/anime-punch-2010/photo-shoot-2-sakura/IMG_4195.JPG.php

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgot to add the only thing I do miss from the 17-55 is the extra length I had with my previous 16-85mm (i think). Have a 100mm macro that helps with it but there's still times where I wish I could zoom in a little more (and I can't "zoom with my legs" any more)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I read and cherish every single one. Go ahead, make my day.