I'm so glad you found me! I'm a San Francisco photographer, and this blog charts my journey in the ever-evolving world of photography. One of the things I love about photography is that it's a journey, not a destination. I'm constantly learning and meeting wonderful people. Please peruse the blog to your heart's content, then check out my website and feel free to contact me! (I love hearing from you.)

“Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I’m going to take tomorrow." – Imogen Cunningham

“A portrait is not made in the camera but on either side of it.” – Edward Steichen

Resolutions for the New Year


I used to never make resolutions because I was afraid I wouldn't keep them.

If it was important enough to make a promise to myself, then why couldn't I do it on any other day of the year? Why the first, specifically? But since I've procrastinated as usual, and here it's the 5th already, I feel like this is prime time for resolution making. And since I'm making them public, I'll have you all to hold me accountable.

I have two kinds of resolutions, photography related and life related.

Life Related (these are more important, although it's hard to remember that, sometimes).

Consume less. And, consume consumables. I don't want to surround myself with things. Living in a small apartment is teaching me about how much junk I really have. I want my extra money (when it comes around, if it does) to go to new experiences: travel, education, even going out to restaurants or concerts. For me, this is a difficult resolution.

Give more. To people on the street, to my friends, to charities or causes I believe in . . . do more favors. Be more available to help.

Enjoy. The little things. Good meals. Walks in the park. Listening to great music.

Photography Related

Shoot More Portraits. I love taking pictures of people, but often I am just too shy about actually doing it.

Get Paid. I'd like to make this photography thing a bit more lucrative, if only to justify my obsession by turning it into a useful skill. Know anyone in the SF Bay Area who needs some photos taken?

Increase my percentage of keepers. I want to go out shooting more, but come back with fewer photos. There are times now when I take a photo and I know it's not going to be good, as I press the shutter button. I want to be able to stop myself from taking that shot, and go and search out a better shot. Plus, my hard drives are filling up with photos at an alarming pace!

Print more. What good are my images if they never get off the computer? I've got plenty of wall space that's just calling my name!

What about you? What are your resolutions? Did you make any?

9 comments:

  1. This is a good shot and a fantastic resplve, when is your canonization going to be held, the only resolution I have ever kept is the one to "Never Make New Years resolutions" Saint Jessica is a real win for our little photowalk. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the simplicity of your image, it really gets your resolutions across....I have many of the same resolutions (in both categories)....too bad you didn't live closer, we could work togather, heck we already do on the photography ones! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the minimalism in your image-yet, it does get your message across. I'm with you on some of the resolutions-I just make them daily ones instead of yearly. A year is too much for me to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made one of the same resolutions you did, to print more photos.
    Great image!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jessica,
    Great resolutions. But I don't make them because I always break them. If I don't make them then I can't disappoint myself. Have a great evening!

    Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simple but effective. I can see this as an illustration in a magazine like Real Simple.
    As far as resolutions: Life related: to be grateful. Photography related: to complete my two challenges, A Photo a Day with the iPnone and the Virtual Photowalk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Jessica! Nice shot to represent your theme. I am so perfect, I no longer need to make resolutions! LOL LOL LOL - and if you believe that, I've got a bridge I will sell you.

    I gave up making resolutions a long time ago. But they are fine for those who feel like they really want to be miserable while trying to prefect themselves to a goal they will in all likelihood have any success. In our endeavors to improve ourselves, we generally place our goals way too high. Start off in small baby steps - something you are likely to achieve. Then once that is done, take another baby step.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A simply lovely image.I make vague resolves and generally keep them in a sort of squishy way...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I read and cherish every single one. Go ahead, make my day.