I'm so glad you found me! I'm a San Francisco photographer, and this blog charts my journey in the ever-evolving world of photography. One of the things I love about photography is that it's a journey, not a destination. I'm constantly learning and meeting wonderful people. Please peruse the blog to your heart's content, then check out my website and feel free to contact me! (I love hearing from you.)

“Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I’m going to take tomorrow." – Imogen Cunningham

“A portrait is not made in the camera but on either side of it.” – Edward Steichen

Best of 2010

It's been quite a year. Last year about this time I had just come back from Thailand, and I was settling in, finding work, and transitioning to being back in the Bay Area, and not in Asia any more. It's amazing, it seems like so long ago, and also strangely present. I still talk about Thailand a couple times a week, and I think about it probably even more. Really though, it's just another item on the list of places I've lived, loved, and then sadly, left. (Montreal, Budapest, and most recently New York City are also on that list.)

The main differences between Thailand and San Francisco?
     a) I can understand and have conversations with people on the street! It was like a sigh of relief when I realized I didn't have to use the 20 or so Thai words I know but can't really pronounce for all of my communications with strangers any more.
     b) The food is not as spicy, and maybe not as delicious. When I came back I could eat anything spicy and not even notice. Now I'm back to my usual puny taste buds. Despite the 14 pounds of curry paste Evan and I brought back with us, we haven't cooked much Thai food since our return.
     c) The weather is so much more livable. I can go for a walk during the day without being drenched in sweat, and at night without being attacked by wild dogs, and also without concerned Thai people pulling over to the side of the road to offer the crazy farang a lift. (very awkward to try to explain that I just like walking when they can't understand me, and culturally it's a bit taboo to just go for a walk).
     d) No more beautiful beaches! Or gorgeous jungle. And certainly no more elephant rides.

Anyway, I love living in San Francisco. Cities get my blood moving, and I love public transportation and being able to walk places. Plus there's a vibe here that you just don't find anywhere else. And a kindness and generosity, a willingness to try to do the right thing that I find inspiring. Not a perfect city, by any means. But a pretty good one. Much easier to live in than Bangkok, certainly!

It's been a great year. And also a year where I really feel like I've improved my photography skills, and started branching out into a few different genres. Sure, I still have a ways to go, but I feel like I'm making progress. That's huge.

This year I:
   -lived in New York City for 6 weeks
   -spent waaaay too much money on new camera gear for
   -the new photography business I've just started! (so exciting)
   -lived in a construction zone pretty much the entire time . . . still waiting for real progress on that front
   -made a book using Blurb, which was very satisfying
   -started singing again, after a few year long break, which was great (I'm not a soloist, but a pretty good choral singer, if I do say so myself)
   -made some great new friends, and reconnected with old ones after being out of the country for so long
   -discovered an affinity for Goat's Milk Caramel in my coffee
   -got a picture published in a newspaper
   -learned how to use a tilt-shift lens (mostly. some more practice certainly couldn't hurt), and
   -had a blast!

Anyway, here's a few greatest hits from the year. I tried to narrow it down to ten, but I just couldn't. So instead I arranged them by month. I can't tell if it's just attachment or progress, but I love the later photos so much more than the earlier ones. (I think I'm going to call it progress until someone stops me.)

To see my best photos of 2009, click here.

January


February


March


April




May




June



July

Stop and Go, originally uploaded by quotidian photography.


Lunchtime!, originally uploaded by quotidian photography.

August




September



October


November



December


4 comments:

  1. Your blog was a great inspiration to me...everyday I could come here and find (just as expected)a exceptional image! I have learned tons from you through out last year and I look forward to a new year of pictures!

    Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorites is January's Sunstar. That's when I first started following your blog and attempted my first sunstars, thanks to your direction. I love your blog and get inspired every time I visit. Congratulations on being published. Looking forward to 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Asparagus picture! I love that food and photographing it is a very tasty idea!

    I like your style of work, you are really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are fabulous! I love the chicken, don't know why but something about it makes me want that image really big on my wall :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I read and cherish every single one. Go ahead, make my day.