I'm so glad you found me! I'm a San Francisco photographer, and this blog charts my journey in the ever-evolving world of photography. One of the things I love about photography is that it's a journey, not a destination. I'm constantly learning and meeting wonderful people. Please peruse the blog to your heart's content, then check out my website and feel free to contact me! (I love hearing from you.)

“Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I’m going to take tomorrow." – Imogen Cunningham

“A portrait is not made in the camera but on either side of it.” – Edward Steichen

Blossoms: Black and White vs. Color

Usually I prefer color. I've heard it said that film photography did black and white better, but digital photography does color better. Your mileage may vary, of course, and I'm no expert at film photography, but the fact is, I see in color.

And so usually I like color better, and I don't even think about black and white.

But I was playing in Lightroom and I happened to turn these flower shots into black and white and something about them grabbed me.

Of course, I like the color too.



For me, the black and white feels completely different. Colder, lonelier maybe, but no less beautiful for all of that. And the color is just kind of flaunting.





Technically this last shot isn't one to write home about, but I'm also enjoying it right now.

So which do you prefer? Black and white, or color?

3 comments:

  1. Nice shots. The top photo is my favorite. I went back and forth, but I think the color is the one I like better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to go for the color on the first one, but I kind of like the B&W on the others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I think the first one especially looks amazing in black and white. Did you use any split tone on it? It looks a bit bluish, and it fits this image perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I read and cherish every single one. Go ahead, make my day.