I'm so glad you found me! I'm a San Francisco photographer, and this blog charts my journey in the ever-evolving world of photography. One of the things I love about photography is that it's a journey, not a destination. I'm constantly learning and meeting wonderful people. Please peruse the blog to your heart's content, then check out my website and feel free to contact me! (I love hearing from you.)

“Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I’m going to take tomorrow." – Imogen Cunningham

“A portrait is not made in the camera but on either side of it.” – Edward Steichen

New! Zenit Petzval Lens


So, I have never been the type to haunt Kickstarter and fund random campaigns (even though I think the site's awesome and it's so great that people do), but when I read about a new/old lens type that was being re-made it caught my imagination and I signed up. I'd go into more detail, but I think it will probably be much clearer if you just go read more about it here.


Anyway, five or so months of waiting and my new lens arrived in the mail! Sorry I didn't do an unboxing video, but if those are your thing here's a link to the shortest one (there is one that's 13 minutes long! I hope it was a really complicated box).


Anyway, long story short it's not your standard lens: it's soft in the corners (well, kind of soft all over, honestly), has what I like to think of as 'painterly bokeh' and produces just lovely colors. It's also all manual: manual focus, aperture plates that you have to carry with you and switch out, and did I mention it's made of brass? Yeah, that part's kind of cool.



Anyway, I'm not sure I'm in love, but I do think I might be intrigued. I've decided to take it on my next few portrait sessions and at least use it for a couple of photos. Who knows? Maybe it'll be something I always carry with me.






None of this is Photoshop; it's all done in-camera. Which I guess makes it cooler.


So let me know, what do you think of the photos and of the lens? Keeper?

5 comments:

I love comments! I read and cherish every single one. Go ahead, make my day.